Isobutyl Alcohol 99% ACS Grade: A Detailed Exploration
Isobutyl Alcohol, also known as 2-methylpropan-1-ol, is a primary alcohol that belongs to the family of aliphatic alcohols. With a 99% ACS Grade, this denotes a high purity level, making the alcohol suitable for sensitive laboratory applications, as it conforms to the stringent standards set by the American Chemical Society (ACS).
Physical and Chemical Properties
Molecular Formula: C4H10O
Appearance: Clear, colorless liquid
Odor: Mild alcoholic scent
Boiling Point: Approximately 107.89°C
Density: Roughly 0.802 g/cm3
Common Uses in the Laboratory
Isobutyl Alcohol 99% ACS Grade has diverse applications in the lab, including:
- Solvent: Due to its solvating capabilities, it’s used in various chemical reactions and processes.
- Extraction: Acts as a medium for extracting certain organic compounds.
- Chemical Synthesis: Functions as a starting material or intermediate in the production of various chemicals.
Handling and Storage
It’s imperative to handle Isobutyl Alcohol with caution, given its flammable nature:
- Always use in a well-ventilated area to prevent vapor accumulation.
- Wear appropriate protective equipment, such as gloves and safety goggles.
- Store in a cool, dry place away from heat sources and open flames.
Health and Safety
Isobutyl Alcohol can pose certain health risks upon exposure:
Inhalation might lead to respiratory irritation, drowsiness, or dizziness. Skin or eye contact can cause irritation. It’s always recommended to refer to the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) when working with this chemical to ensure safety measures are observed.
If released into the environment, Isobutyl Alcohol can affect aquatic life. Therefore, appropriate care should be taken in its disposal, following local regulations and guidelines to minimize its ecological footprint.
Isobutyl Alcohol 99% ACS Grade is a versatile compound extensively utilized in laboratory settings. Understanding its properties, uses, and safety protocols is vital to harness its potential while ensuring personal and environmental safety.